Not able to connect remote control to phone (OnePlus 5)

TwanBlack

Not able to connect remote control to phone (OnePlus 5)

Post by TwanBlack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 am

Hi,

Finally received my drone yesterday. Unfortunately I'm unable to connect the controller to my OnePlus 5. I've tried enabling USB debugging but that doesn't do anything either when connecting the USB type C cable to my phone and the controller. Doesn't show anything, doesn't do anything.
Also tried both wifi and Bluetooth and it doesn't show up nor does it connect.

Help will be appreciated!

imwarren

Re: Not able to connect remote control to phone (OnePlus 5)

Post by imwarren » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:27 am

Hi fellow Oneplus 5 user.

I am using Oneplus 5 Oxygen OS 9.0.0
The way i connected was in this order:

1) restart oneplus 5 phone
2) power on zino drone
3) power on transmitter
4) open app on oneplus 5, click "enter device" then click "enter main interface"
5) finally, connect the wire between transmitter and drone
6) when prompted with a "open X-Hubsan" dialog box, click "OK" and wait about 3 seconds for live video feed to start

usb debugging is not necessary

connecting the usb wire before opening the X-hubsan app on oneplus 5 will cause connection error
also, do not attempt to connect wifi/bluetooth (it will simply cause errors as well)

TwanBlack

Post by TwanBlack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 am

imwarren wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:27 am
Hi fellow Oneplus 5 user.

I am using Oneplus 5 Oxygen OS 9.0.0
The way i connected was in this order:

1) restart oneplus 5 phone
2) power on zino drone
3) power on transmitter
4) open app on oneplus 5, click "enter device" then click "enter main interface"
5) finally, connect the wire between transmitter and drone
6) when prompted with a "open X-Hubsan" dialog box, click "OK" and wait about 3 seconds for live video feed to start

usb debugging is not necessary

connecting the usb wire before opening the X-hubsan app on oneplus 5 will cause connection error
also, do not attempt to connect wifi/bluetooth (it will simply cause errors as well)
I appreciate the help but that didn't fix the issue :/

imwarren

Post by imwarren » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:12 pm

a few questions:

1) is ur oneplus 5 rooted?
2) what is the oxygen OS version currently on your oneplus 5
3) presumably ur zino got delivered recently, did u update the firmware to latest?
4) is the X-hubsan app installed from Google playstore the latest? (tried uninstalling and reinstalling?)
5) what error messages (if any) are you getting?
6) when u connect the wire between the transmitter and oneplus 5, is there any vibration or dialog box appearing on your omeplus 5?

TwanBlack

Post by TwanBlack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm

imwarren wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:12 pm
a few questions:

1) is ur oneplus 5 rooted?
2) what is the oxygen OS version currently on your oneplus 5
3) presumably ur zino got delivered recently, did u update the firmware to latest?
4) is the X-hubsan app installed from Google playstore the latest? (tried uninstalling and reinstalling?)
5) what error messages (if any) are you getting?
6) when u connect the wire between the transmitter and oneplus 5, is there any vibration or dialog box appearing on your omeplus 5?
1. It's not rooted
2. Android 9, OxygenOS Beta 24
3. I did not. As far as I know I need to connect the drone to my phone to be able to update it.
4. Installed via Playstore, latest version. Reinstall didn't do the trick
5. I'm getting a error where it says something like 'The phone is not connected with the transmitter via the cable', while it clearly is.
6. No vibration or dialog box. The notification/charging light does change to orange/red while plugged in though. Nothing happens.

Appreciate the help!

501Pete

Post by 501Pete » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm

TwanBlack wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm

5. I'm getting a error where it says something like 'The phone is not connected with the transmitter via the cable', while it clearly is.
6. No vibration or dialog box. The notification/charging light does change to orange/red while plugged in though. Nothing happens.

Appreciate the help!
I think 5. in particular is your answer.
There is no connection even though you think there is.

When you connect an OTG device to an Android device, in all iterations of Android that I have used, you get a message to tell you a device has been connected, and how you would like the USB port to behave (file transfer, charge only, data etc.)
If you do not see this it can be for several reasons.
The OTG cable is broken.
The phone does not support OTG, or the OTG driver is missing.
OTG has previously been disabled.
The controller is broken.

Have you had OTG devices connected and working before?
I'd start looking at firstly the cable (have you another OTG cable you could try?), and your OnePlus OTG settings.
Maybe this might help?
https://www.androidexplained.com/oneplus-5-enable-otg/

imwarren

Post by imwarren » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 pm

yep, agree with Pete. suspect faulty OTG cable/port.
(do you happen to be using a phone case btw? Try removing it. i find that some phone cases prevents a tight connection at the usb-c port)

if u have access to a spare OTG cable, do try it

otherwise, because Hubsan Zino also deliver with iPhone and microusb OTG cable, see if u can borrow a compatible phone to try

running a beta Oxygen OS would be my next suspect. it's beta software afterall, OTG drivers may not have been compatible

and just to be sure u have actually powered on the Zino drone and transmitter... both requires long press on the power button until an audio feedback is heard (a robotic clicking for Zino, and a long beep for the transmitter).

Hubsan-Ailsa

Post by Hubsan-Ailsa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 am

Hello TwanBlack ,

May I know if there have charging status in the battery when you connect the remote control to the phone by the USB type C cable?

If not ,there might a issue with the USB cable.I email you for further checking.

TwanBlack

Post by TwanBlack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:01 am

I'm not sure what the issue is. When connecting my phne to the controller, the phone's notification light turns orange (meaning somethng is connected) but it doesn't charge, show debug options or does it charge. I've tried connecting my phone to my PC and that works fine. It asks if I want to charge, send files, photos etc. It must be the cable then I think?

I don't have any other OTG cables laying around here I'm afraid.

I did try other devices (with micro usb connection) and those connected fine.

TwanBlack

Post by TwanBlack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 am

501Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm
TwanBlack wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Appreciate the help!
Maybe this might help?
https://www.androidexplained.com/oneplus-5-enable-otg/
This did not work either btw