H501S RTH to transmitter instead of take off point - Why?

beastqc

H501S RTH to transmitter instead of take off point - Why?

Post by beastqc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:37 am

Hello everyone,

My H501s always wants to RTH to the transmitter, not the take off spot. Does anyone know why this is occuring and how to correct so the drone will RTH to the take off spot?

I've attached a screen shot of my firmware version screen.

Many thanks,

Ray
Attachments
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg (100.93 KiB) Viewed 2137 times

Knimrod

Re: H501S RTH to transmitter instead of take off point - Why?

Post by Knimrod » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Dynamic RTH was introduced around FC firmware 1.1.36. A static RTH point is set from your drone's GPS when you arm motors with 6 or more satellites locked. A dynamic point is set from your transmitter's GPS position when you select RTH if your quad is further away than 10m from the arming point and you have 6 or more satellites locked on the transmitter. If you manually select RTH, the quad then returns to the controller position. In event of signal loss fail safe, the quad returns to the static point (where it was armed).

beastqc

Post by beastqc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Thank you Kimrod for that explanation. However, I think my problem is a bit worse in that my last 3 flights the RTH function was very imprecise except for 1 try.

I have 11 satellites on the quad and 11 on the transmitter, and when I bind and start the motors I am at about 1 meter from the quad with the transmitter in my hand. During those last 3 flights, I tried it several times to confirm and on maybe 10 tries, only one landed at approx 1 meter from the pad, all others were at 10-15 meters from the pad, a few right on me (with transmitter in my hands), so it's as though something is not working properly. During my last try, I flew in the backyard of my house and took off at approx 10 meters from the pool, when I hit RTH, the quad wanted to land in the pool.....yikes! I intercepted it.

Is there a way to calibrate GPS accuracy or am I doing something wrong? I have an Hubsan H502s that I have been using for a few months and that one is dead precise on RTH (within inches).

Please help! Thank you!

justjarhead

Post by justjarhead » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am

beastqc wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm
Thank you Kimrod for that explanation. However, I think my problem is a bit worse in that my last 3 flights the RTH function was very imprecise except for 1 try.

I have 11 satellites on the quad and 11 on the transmitter, and when I bind and start the motors I am at about 1 meter from the quad with the transmitter in my hand. During those last 3 flights, I tried it several times to confirm and on maybe 10 tries, only one landed at approx 1 meter from the pad, all others were at 10-15 meters from the pad, a few right on me (with transmitter in my hands), so it's as though something is not working properly. During my last try, I flew in the backyard of my house and took off at approx 10 meters from the pool, when I hit RTH, the quad wanted to land in the pool.....yikes! I intercepted it.

Is there a way to calibrate GPS accuracy or am I doing something wrong? I have an Hubsan H502s that I have been using for a few months and that one is dead precise on RTH (within inches).

Please help! Thank you!
Unfortunately the RTH(Transmitter returns to what it thinks are the coordinates of the transmitter which often are not the same as the quad even at atake off. I have had this happen also and you either wait for GPS coordinates of Quad and transmitter to agree(good luck) or see the Quads and Mods Group on Facebook and look for the link under the files section called Home Point RTH Modification H901A ver 2.0 or close to it to get the quad to return to take off point with current firmware above FC 1.1.36.

beastqc

Post by beastqc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 pm

justjarhead wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am
beastqc wrote:

Please help! Thank you!
Unfortunately the RTH(Transmitter returns to what it thinks are the coordinates of the transmitter which often are not the same as the quad even at atake off. I have had this happen also and you either wait for GPS coordinates of Quad and transmitter to agree(good luck) or see the Quads and Mods Group on Facebook and look for the link under the files section called Home Point RTH Modification H901A ver 2.0 or close to it to get the quad to return to take off point with current firmware above FC 1.1.36.
Many thanks Justjarhead, I've requested to be admitted to the Quands and Mods group and awaiting approval. Wouldn't have know that group exists if it was not for you help!

You do mention for current firmware above FC 1.1.36, does that mean it did not do this on version 1.1.36 and prior? Would it be an idea to downgrade or is that a stupid idea? Tks again!

justjarhead

Post by justjarhead » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:51 am

beastqc wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 pm
justjarhead wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am
beastqc wrote:

Please help! Thank you!
Many thanks Justjarhead, I've requested to be admitted to the Quands and Mods group and awaiting approval. Wouldn't have know that group exists if it was not for you help!

You do mention for current firmware above FC 1.1.36, does that mean it did not do this on version 1.1.36 and prior? Would it be an idea to downgrade or is that a stupid idea? Tks again!
I am not exactly sure when the RTH (Transmitter) function was put in the Firmware but If all else is functioning properly I do not recommend a firmware down grade.