H501S vs. Bugs 2W

W95

H501S vs. Bugs 2W

Post by W95 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello:
To those that ended up getting the 501S, did you consider the Bugs 2W and why did you end up with the 501S? I looking at both these models. Is FPV WiFi a drawback? I do like the fact the 501S has a built in FPV screen but not the apparent problems with flyaways.

justjarhead

Re: H501S vs. Bugs 2W

Post by justjarhead » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:24 am

The bugs with WiFi is just as prone to flyaway. Flyaway in the H501 series is most often due to pilot error of one sort or another.

The only scenario that may cause a flyaway in a 501 series drone is high speed turns or altitude changes that cause a glitch in the firmware that takes very aggressive flying to trigger.

Because of various failsafes people think they have flown away were in fact the pilot has flown below the safe margins of the battery and the craft will land where it is, or the have lost satellites due to interference and the quD WILL GO INTO ALThOLD MODE WHERE THE PIOLT NEEDS TO TAKE CONTROL AND FLY IT BACK, OR THEY LOSE SIGNAL, CRAFT STARTRTS an RTH SEQUENCE UNTIL IT GAINS SIGNAL CONNECTION FOR MORE THAN 6 SECONDS THEN PILOT CAN FLY IT AGAIN ( sorry about the caps lock) and if signal lost again due to power line or other interference if appears like it is flying away but it is trying to RTH again until signal is regained often causing pilots to panic and think they are in a flyaway.

W95

Post by W95 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks. Are there any inherent benefits of a 5.4 gHz FPV on-board display vs. using FPV via WiFi? Apparently Bugs only makes quad to be used with cell phones via WiFi. Some YouTube videos show loss of updated display on the phones anywhere from 100m to 600m so don't understand why users are finding such a wide range before display updates stop. Pus, they claim there is a latency or lag in the display. Is a 5.4 gHz FPV on-board display more stable and "fluid"?

I hope other members here can chime in if they have had experience with the Bugs or other WiFi based quads.

justjarhead

Post by justjarhead » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Wifi to you cell phone no matter if it is Hubsan or Bugs is Wifi. It has lag because of Wifi and WiFi signals.

Range and lag if you are flying by the house will be similar. Some people get over 400 meter on their H501A with relay or the HT011A but WiFi is WiFi pure and simple.

Out where there are no cell towers, houses or phone service I have gotten 800 meters but I could not see the drone and with WiFi Lag it was a shot in dark with picture being delayed.

As I have said before how far are you going to fly, what are you goals. If you just want to tool around around and around get a Bugs and try it.

W95

Post by W95 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks justjarhead. Very educational. It seems like on-board FPV screen without having to mess with a cell phone is probably more convenient. Curious they don't seem to make one like that. I do like the Bugs website very much though. Well laid out and chock full of information. Ever try any of their drones?

justjarhead

Post by justjarhead » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 am

NO I have not spent money on Bugs @W drone just read specs on it. I am not made of money. It is cheaper than Hubsan is now so all being equal try it if you are set to use WiFi Only.

5.8G costs more money and that is why WiFi and cellphone is so attractive You have delayed so long on decision Hubsan or not that you choices are now influenced by what Hubsan sell for and until the end of month there running at $220+ dollars now on ebay and other markets. End of month may bring deals in September but only time will tell.

Hubsan h501S/SS is now $149.98 USD with out controller (Amazon) and $49 for controller from hubsanus in the US.

A consideration is also Cell Phones tend to get washed out badly in bright sunlight and what if you drop it with the controller? WIll it get damaged.

All things to consider but at some point you do hae to make a decision.

Hubby2044

Post by Hubby2044 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:32 am

I owned a Bugs 2W for about 3 months, until the battery fell out over a lake. I tested the range of mine out to 500m and it worked fine. The lag was almost unnoticeable, and the FPV broke up before the control link. It was too big for me, and if I am honest, a bit too fast. The video/picture quality was good but not great. I live in the northern suburbs of Sydney, Australia, so there was a moderate amount of interference on both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz.

I now have a Hubsan 216A and prefer it to the Bugs 2W, mainly because it is smaller and the video/picture quality is better. Also, it is more controllable (ie. slower). Since in Australia, we are limited to VLOS (any range beyond about 250/300m is illegal), I do not miss the reduced range of the 216A. I do miss the extra few minutes of flight time that the Bugs gave me.

The app for the Bugs is more basic than that of the Hubsan. I do not use the Follow Me, Waypoints, etc much, but I miss them when they are not there.

I hope that the above helps you.

clustermarc

Post by clustermarc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I'd personally go for the bugs, I see less people moan about issues with those then I do hubsan drones..
Hubsan Quadcopters In My Collection So Far:
Hubsan X4 Desire Pro H216A
Hubsan X4 H107C (a few of them)
Hubsan Q4 Nano H111

My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9nFqm ... GWmyLnCQ5w