Almost flew away

tensman1

Almost flew away

Post by tensman1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:49 pm

I have an H501ss. It has been a fine quad. Today I flew and used Circle Fly. I disengaged Circle Fly by using the yaw stick. I then flew manually (all in GPS mode). Then, after circling an elevated water tank, the quad took off on its own (no inputs at Tx). I hit the sticks and the quad came to a stop. I was then able to fly it normally again. Could this have happened because I did not stop Circle Fly using the down button (906A advanced Tx)? Battery power was 7.4 volts on the quad and 11.5v on the TX.

I changed batteries and flew again and all was normal.

justjarhead

Re: Almost flew away

Post by justjarhead » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:08 pm

While flying around a water tower it is possible that while in circle me mode that the H501S and your Transmitter lost connection. If this happens in circle or follow me modes the drone no longers is communicating the GPS information from controller and loses ability to fly the circle.

Hubsan-Anne

Post by Hubsan-Anne » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Did you notice whether or not the transmitter screen read "Return To Home" at its bottom?

tensman1

Post by tensman1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:22 pm

No, I did not notice a RTH readout at the time of the incident. However, after I regained control, I did engage RTH to bring it home and it responded properly. When it got close, I disengaged RTH and landed manually. I've flown it since and all seems okay. It gave me a shock when it flew off...I thought "here we go, gonna lose it" but didn't.
I had a control loss once before when I flew inside a steel RR bridge. Thought I may have lost GPS - but I didn't look at the GPS connections right at the time of control loss. I was too concerned that the drone would crash and fall into the river. Lucky me!

KERRY

Post by KERRY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello
Did you happen to look to see if the water tower had any cell antennas or repeater antennas?
Most of the time they are gray or silver in color and just estimating from the ground I would say they are about two feet wide and six feet long and run perpendicular to the ground.
If these are present they can interfere with you signal and your drone will just do what it wants.
Kerry