GPS data Recovery

eur_81d84mJ7aK

GPS data Recovery

Post by eur_81d84mJ7aK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently (and stupidly) lost my drone (Hubsan H501S) while flying yesterday. Since the quadcopter disconnected from the remote, is there any way to retrive it's last GPS position even though the remote controller hasn't received it? I mean that the drone was still connected to the satellites, anyone that knows if there is something like a record or a gps log book?
Thanks in advance

eur_c6df6Dc80x

Re: GPS data Recovery

Post by eur_c6df6Dc80x » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Unfortunately not. If it lost the 2.4 control signal it should have set off home and headed for its original take off position, that is until it received the tx signal again.... If you had flicked the rth switch then I believe once it came back within range it should have headed for the tx. You dont say what you mean by disconnected. FPV or control and more importantly why ?

Its too late now I know but its advisable to fly say 60m out then test a rth on each flight just to make sure it works.

Your option at the time was to take a photo of the last active tx screen and note the quads coordinates which would give you a last known position once put in Google maps plus its direction, speed and height. from that you may have been able to get an idea of its possible landing site. You would then have had to go there quick with the tx and hope it picked up the drones signal before the battery died then use the tx as a locator and walk towards the drone until distance =0

ArmyVet

Post by ArmyVet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:07 pm

eur_c6df6Dc80x wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Your option at the time was to take a photo of the last active tx scree and note the quads coordinates which would give you a last known position once put in Google maps plus its direction, speed and height. from that you may have been able to get an idea of its possible landing site. You would then have had to go there quick with the tx and hope it picked up the drones signal before the battery died then use the tx as a locator and walk towards the drone until distance =0

That is a great tip! Have to remember that one. Just hope don't have to use it.....ughhhh

Just to clarify. How long would that screen info stay on after the contact was lost? I typically try to not have my phone/camera on me when I fly. Some of my other quads are sensitive to the wifi signal in close range.

Thanks
Bill

eur_c6df6Dc80x

Post by eur_c6df6Dc80x » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi Bill,
The tx display should display the last coordinates until the battery in the tx fails or the tx is switched off........ unless of course the drone gps signal is picked up again and then those new coordinates will be displayed along with the other telemetry details.

As for your phone, put on aircraft mode and turn off wifi.. You can take a photo if required without the risk of cross interference.

I failed to mention taking into account possible wind drift when trying to locate a wayward drone.. I put my mobile number on the bottom of the drone plus use an audible battery alarm. I use a simple volt checker it just plugs into balance lead of the drone battery then you set the trigger voltage. I have mine set a 3.5v /cell so I hear it and land at 7v, just in case I miss the Tx display of the quad voltage. It may help locate a drone when you are in close proximity but cannot see the drone due to vegetation etc. Cheap as chips. you would have to wait until the voltage dropped to the trigger value which would be a downside ;-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Lipo-Battery-Low-Voltage-Alarm-1S-8S-Buzzer-Indicator-Checker-Tester-LED-UK/273520034759?epid=9008172208&hash=item3faf1083c7:g:FjwAAOSwA4dWKh-X:rk:1:pf:0

Can I suggest you practice getting your drones GPS coord's from the Tx? Perhaps take a photo and then quickly pop them into Google maps to see if they confirm your drones position ?

ArmyVet

Post by ArmyVet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Ok, Thanks that is great.

Also a good idea about Airplane Mode.

Will test and see what happens.

HAve fun!
Bill