just got a H501ss and have a few questions

tings00

just got a H501ss and have a few questions

Post by tings00 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 am

been going great so far with this drone. Very impressed with the RTH feature but have a couple questions.

1- any tips for getting gps connections. It seems to take a while for the controller and x4 to start showing GPS connections. I wasnt sure if there was a order to turning things on, controller first or drone. or once i have them on to set them right by each other with the drone camera facing the controller for example. Just some tips on getting the gps connections quickly so i can start flying. It was actually kinda embarrassing. I was trying to show family the drone and it took about 10 minutes until i could get a good connection.
-should i not turn either on until i am outside or does that not matter.

2- the trim buttons. Do you ever really need those. It seems to hold good and stable but wasnt sure how often people use those.

3- what is the little black filter thing it came with with in the tiny bag. it says a "filter for stable image under high light" but doesnt say how to install it. Do i put it right on the camera lens? do you always use it or only during the day?

4- i am thinking about doing the antenna mod and wanted to see what issues people have ran into. the top of my controller looks like it has tabs i can pop out. am i still drilling holes or do they "pop" out. How are the connections made, clip on, glue, solder? Is there a way to tell it was done right or wrong? any tips for this process?

5- every now and then i have to do the compass calibration. One youtube video i saw mentioned the newest version had a updated compass and firmware that you dont do that anymore. Did i get an old one or just need to update the firmware?

Gorillaman

Re: just got a H501ss and have a few questions

Post by Gorillaman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:23 am

Tried to answer what I could...

1- any tips for getting gps connections. It seems to take a while for the controller and x4 to start showing GPS connections. I wasnt sure if there was a order to turning things on, controller first or drone. or once i have them on to set them right by each other with the drone camera facing the controller for example. Just some tips on getting the gps connections quickly so i can start flying. It was actually kinda embarrassing. I was trying to show family the drone and it took about 10 minutes until i could get a good connection.
-should i not turn either on until i am outside or does that not matter.
" The book says to turn the controller on first. I found it makes no difference. How you do the compass calibration will make a flight difference. The circle dance does not do as good a job as the stationary turning and as soon as the lights change color... stop. Overturning affects flight as well." :D

2- the trim buttons. Do you ever really need those. It seems to hold good and stable but wasnt sure how often people use those.
:D "NOPE"

3- what is the little black filter thing it came with with in the tiny bag. it says a "filter for stable image under high light" but doesnt say how to install it. Do i put it right on the camera lens? do you always use it or only during the day?
:D "Its a lens filter for the camera. Called an "ND" filter. Helps with bright sunlight to reduce jello.Works OK... just have to stick it right as not to get any shadows."

4- i am thinking about doing the antenna mod and wanted to see what issues people have ran into. the top of my controller looks like it has tabs i can pop out. am i still drilling holes or do they "pop" out. How are the connections made, clip on, glue, solder? Is there a way to tell it was done right or wrong? any tips for this process?
" The mod is easy and does work well. Hardest thing is drilling holes. The antenna connections to the board are clip[ on but some also use hot glue. IMHO: If you only fliy LOS... you dont need the mod." :D

5- every now and then i have to do the compass calibration. One youtube video i saw mentioned the newest version had a updated compass and firmware that you dont do that anymore. Did i get an old one or just need to update the firmware?
"That I do not know. If you update and it works... then great. I would leave a message here with the serial number of the craft ... maybe the rep can answer your question". :D

tings00

Post by tings00 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:42 pm

would the remote mod help me connect to gps quicker or only give me better long range control?

Gorillaman

Post by Gorillaman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:17 pm

tings00 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:42 pm
would the remote mod help me connect to gps quicker or only give me better long range control?

The controller antenna mod does extend you range significantly (just do not turn the controller on without attaching the antennas first). But for LOS flying (200m or so) the mod may give you a slightly stronger connection but won't increase the quickness of obtaining Sat numbers. That's all done by the GPS module on board the craft etc.

I did do the mod and am happy with it. I can fly LOS with no worries of disconnects... unless you happen to be near a lot of High metal objects. I get the best range at about 50-60m altitude... but the most fun is about 20-30m high.

Good luck... conclusion... The mod will do more good than harm. But you dont need to do it ... confusing Eh?

:D

tings00

Post by tings00 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:22 pm

which mod kit did you use?

i saw this one on amazon that had mostly good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISHB4LA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

but i also read to be careful which kit you get

eur_c6df6Dc80x

Post by eur_c6df6Dc80x » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:11 am

Before you start modifying the quad setup, fly it and see if you have any specific limitations. The advantage of the standard tx is that is is all self contained, nothing to catch, forget to screw on and blow your output transistors etc. Do not modify it for the sake of it. You do not mention any FPV or signal issues so why change something that works reliably ?