ge_5d582PYQ7z

Zino Mini Pro: Uncontrolled crash after firmware update to V1.3.3

Post by ge_5d582PYQ7z » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:17 am

So yesterday I did a firmware upgrade to the latest version V1.3.3

Board Staus reports these versions:
ZinoMiniPro_FC_V0.0.47
ZinoMiniPro_IT_V1.4.9

Next, on the first flight after the update, this happened:

Setting: Open Field (hilltop), about 100m from a parking spot with a few cars and people (see below!)
Drone 60% charged, lots of satellites, compass freshly calibrated.

I let the drone lift-off and rose it to ~ 10 meters (no other flight controls input to this point other then lever up), as I was planning to try
some intelligent flight modes once up in the air.

Next, without any further input or touching anything, the drone started accelerating sideways (right) quite fast,
and also losing height - finally crashing into the parking lot 100 meters away ( nearly missing a guy who was clearly not amused!).
Once it started moving sideways, I had completely lost control over it - I frantically tried to steer/control it with the controller - but nothing helped. Had to watch the drone crash into the parking lot without being able to do anything.

Since the drone was working fine for about two weeks and about 20 flights and the crash happened immediately after the firmware update,
I do suspect that Hubsan has introduced some severe bug into the latest version.

Has anybody else experienced such behaviour?

Can anybody else confirm issues with that firmware version?

wobbly1958

Re: Zino Mini Pro: Uncontrolled crash after firmware update to V1.3.3

Post by wobbly1958 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:44 am

Yes. Had a similar experience

After untroubled flying for 2 weeks I took my ZMP for a fly after recent firmware update and the aircraft took off in a Easterly direction (assuming aircraft facing North) and descending. No joystick controls appeared to work. Fortunately I had not gone to more than two metres altitude so aircraft recovery was not a big issue. The ‘landings’ were ugly, though.

I had done an update just prior.. not sure of the version number. Was going to try again when fine weather returns and if persists will have to contact support.

ge_5d582PYQ7z

Post by ge_5d582PYQ7z » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks for the report, good to know!

In the meantime, I was able to download the log files from the drone and have contacted Hubsan support - who are currently looking into it.

ge_5d582PYQ7z

Post by ge_5d582PYQ7z » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:02 pm

the aircraft took off in a Easterly direction (assuming aircraft facing North)
Mine was facing west and then moved north, so both went of "starboard" (to the right).

BrandenburgTV

Post by BrandenburgTV » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Hey guys, I lost my zmp too, but even more spooky: Flew about 200m away at an altitude of about 35 meters. Then stopped, to gain altitude before crossing a street with houses nearby, at around 90 meters I wanted to stop ascending, but zmp went on, not letting me control the altitude anymore. But still was able to fly on. When I tried to return the drone, it didn't really "wanted" to, even in sports mode it made only like 0.5 to 2 m/s, still ascending. Not flying in my home direction ment, it was going on drifting away, by reaching 800m (!) of altitude. Then, suddenly I partially got control over it again, returning it manually into my direction. When using RTH, it didn't come closer, nor lower. So I brought it close to 250 meters near me in manual mode, but 800 meters high, when the battery started getting low. Manually I was able to bring it a bit down, I was at 160m when again I totally lost control over it, only seeing where it was, and the cam on my mobile. ZMP again started drifting away, not descending anymore. The log showed that it was still drifting for about 4 minutes at an altitude of 160 meters before it fell out of the sky and crashed on a pavement nearby (450 meters away).

Hubsan checked the flight log, than told me it crashed because of the "environment situation" lol...

And made me pay US$310.00 (or 267€) for a replacement. Which hasn't even been sent out after a whole week.

...Did you guys notice that you actually cannot buy barely anything from Hubsan directly in their shop?

What's going on? Just wondering...

me_83bb1oseSX

Post by me_83bb1oseSX » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:51 pm

BrandenburgTV Too funny with the BullCrap they come up with [environment situation] when mine crashed it took off from a a hover went a fast left then right no controls and crashed their excuse was you have large geomagnetic disturbance WTF this company is so bad

me_83bb1oseSX

Post by me_83bb1oseSX » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 pm

BrandenburgTV wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:07 pm
Hey guys, I lost my zmp too, but even more spooky: Flew about 200m away at an altitude of about 35 meters. Then stopped, to gain altitude before crossing a street with houses nearby, at around 90 meters I wanted to stop ascending, but zmp went on, not letting me control the altitude anymore. But still was able to fly on. When I tried to return the drone, it didn't really "wanted" to, even in sports mode it made only like 0.5 to 2 m/s, still ascending. Not flying in my home direction ment, it was going on drifting away, by reaching 800m (!) of altitude. Then, suddenly I partially got control over it again, returning it manually into my direction. When using RTH, it didn't come closer, nor lower. So I brought it close to 250 meters near me in manual mode, but 800 meters high, when the battery started getting low. Manually I was able to bring it a bit down, I was at 160m when again I totally lost control over it, only seeing where it was, and the cam on my mobile. ZMP again started drifting away, not descending anymore. The log showed that it was still drifting for about 4 minutes at an altitude of 160 meters before it fell out of the sky and crashed on a pavement nearby (450 meters away).

Hubsan checked the flight log, than told me it crashed because of the "environment situation" lol...

And made me pay US$310.00 (or 267€) for a replacement. Which hasn't even been sent out after a whole week.

...Did you guys notice that you actually cannot buy barely anything from Hubsan directly in their shop?

What's going on? Just wondering...
I fired a Email asking them that when can we buy from the website they said its down for maintenance should be up shortly
2 weeks ago, this company. seriously

ge_5d582PYQ7z

Post by ge_5d582PYQ7z » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm

So I finally got an answer from Hubsan support, after I've uploaded the flight logs they "analyzed" them.

Got the same canned answer of the crash happened due to "geomagnetism interference of your flight environment."

This, ofc, is bollocks.
There is no special geomagnetism in the area I flew (checked with official information), also I've been flying close by and without any problems, BEFORE the firmware update. Plus, other people with other brands of drones are flying there and they didn't seem to have any problems with "geomagnetic interference!

I have now asked to kindly explain, how geomagnetism could possibly lead to an uncontrollable flight - and am wondering if authorities in Germany, Europe or elsewhere might be interested about such dangerous bug in this drone.

me_1059c8nr3Y

Post by me_1059c8nr3Y » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:16 am

I have read this thread with interest and the points that come to mind are;
1) Always run all calibrations after any sort of firmware update - I'd include avoidance, transmitter and all calibrations available in the app just in case, as I feel updates can screw with calibrations.
2) I'm disappointed to see geomagnetic interference being blamed when they have the logs and the GPS coordinates and can probably see if those areas look like places where this could happen, although I suspect such interference could be temporary from other sources, in which case though - it shouldn't take down the drone in the ways described.
3) I know this is unlikely, but these drones are 249g and whilst pretty stable they are easily affected by wind which can feel like nothing on the ground but be way worse up high, especially in wide open spaces where you can see and the wind blows for miles unobstructed. I'd recommend using UAV forecast app on Google's Play Store (free) take a screen shot before flight, click on Wind Profile at the bottom and it opens up a list of wind at varying heights a screenshot again might be good precautions just in case of flyaway and as proof that conditions and wind levels were reasonable, as well as for your own peace of mind, its one less possible thing you rule out. You either let it use your phones GPS location or put in the postcode you intend to fly at before you go.
Screenshot_20220204-155809.png
Main screen
Screenshot_20220204-155809.png (336.2 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Screenshot_20220204-155839.png
Wind Profile
Screenshot_20220204-155839.png (363.96 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
4) The UAV forecast App also includes a kp number which is the geomagnetic storm index, above 3 is where GPS signal may be disrupted so again is worth checking and having a screen shot of, I don't think many places will exceed a 3 tbh.
Screenshot_20220204-162831.png
Geomagnetic storm index
Screenshot_20220204-162831.png (247.45 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Note - Even in good weather I wouldn't fly there though as I have heard one of the Sons of the old Lady who lives there is a bit of a law breaking scumbag who might abuse you or your drone and then deny he was even there if you made a complaint, that's just what I heard anyway.