Zino gone forever!

Mavros777

Zino gone forever!

Post by Mavros777 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 am

So took the drone out on the river on a beautiful summer's day. Was doing the following mode while I was riding my boat to capture the scenery. At 30% I thought enough I'll take it down. All of a sudden the battery dropped to 20% and activated return to home. Because the stupid thing can't be overridden even though I've mentioned this as an issue, it took off to where it was launched and crashed into the river. Diving down and searching for an hour was fruitless. Ailsa, how do I go about getting a drone only. :oops:

Bellerophon

Re: Zino gone forever!

Post by Bellerophon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:12 am

I have a couple of points here.
  • RTH can be stopped even after it has been initiated. I did it today.
    You could have selected RTH and had it return to the controller rather than take off point. You then could have hand landed it in your boat.
I am sorry you lost your drone. Any of us would be really bummed out in the same situation.

me_075d7ydEYr

Post by me_075d7ydEYr » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 am

Just for reference, what's the procedure to abort RTH? Does manual input on either stick do the trick?

peterkng

Post by peterkng » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 am

Must have been the Australia Day weekend for it :cry: . While out testing FC 1.0.47 I was flying a bit too fast into a turn and clipped a tree, Zino fell about 2 metres to the ground. No apparent damage but on the next flight gimbal would not hold horizontal. No errors in app gimbal normal? Have tried everything to fix it. Pulled battery, gimbal calibration, reloaded firmware even the old push the cable reset. Nothing, horizontal axis motor has zero power yaw still works. I contacted Alisa to see if I could purchase a spare camera/gimbal as the crash was my fault and I wanted to repair the Zino, camera and gimbal is only held in by 4 rubber grommets and 2 press fit ribbon cables so is an easy replacement. I use to build gimbals on picavets using Storm32 cards back in my kite photography days.

Reply from Alisa was no gimbal or camera for replacement because of complex Zino construction. What a crock I repair phones and other ICT equipment as part of my work and a Zino is about as complex as my Sons radio controlled toy cars. Hubsan have ESCs, motors, power boards etc...on the Zino spare parts page for sale. These items require soldering and tearing the Zino down way more than the replacement of the camera and gimbal.

Almost all camera drones have the camera available as a spare part because in a crash it is the most likely thing to break. The Zino is designed with the camera and gimbal relatively easy to remove and replace so :?:

Failure to provide proper spares is a big fail on Hubsan's part, along with their poor documentation and other reported customer service failures. The Zino is not a bad drone especially at the price point but I suspect it is doomed to fail due to poor support from Hubsan.

Might have to see how the Fimi X8 SE reviews birthday is in March and my 501S is still going strong Zino might just have become my disposable still photography drone for my boat :D
me_075d7ydEYr wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 am
Just for reference, what's the procedure to abort RTH? Does manual input on either stick do the trick?
Push the RTH button again.

Mavros777

Post by Mavros777 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 am

So if I pressed the rth button it would have returned to the controller? Whenever I press rth it goes back to base.

gremaso

Post by gremaso » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:40 am

If you press the RTH button in the app it will give you three options: return to take-off point, return to controller's current position or land in place. If RTH has already started, pressing the button in the app allows you to cancel it.

Mavros777

Post by Mavros777 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:57 am

I pressed the button and it didn't respond. It was a forced return from the low battery. From now on it's default to the controller anyway. Experience is something you get after you need it.

501Pete

Post by 501Pete » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:52 am

To cancel the LV failsafe RTH, you need press the RTH icon on the controller.
lv rth.png
lv rth.png (946.92 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
It then will ask if you want to cancel, OK or Cancel.
rth cancel.png
rth cancel.png (795.4 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

Don't press cancel as I did the first time because I didn't read the message ;)
Touching "OK" will abort the RTH.
Saying that, there is no way I'd fly a zino over water with 25% battery remaining :o

Djose24

Post by Djose24 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:16 am

So if the battery drops by 20%, the zino performs RTH and does not leave from the button of the station (pressing half a second) do nothing ???. If so, you could implement in the firmware that instead of giving 40% notice, that you have the option of 30% in the app with the options to return automatically and at what height before proceeding. So these bad moments would not happen

Mavros777

Post by Mavros777 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks people for the tips. Didn't know these things. Now I feel worse knowing I could have easily overcome this problem. Grrrr.