iPad users BEWARE!

irussphone

iPad users BEWARE!

Post by irussphone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 am

BEWARE! Apparently many, if not most, iPads are NOT compatible for use with the Zino.

I wanted a bigger screen so I went to the App Store and researched it on the x-Hubsan app about iPad compatibility. Well, it has almost all, if not all, iPads listed there. I wanted to get an iPad Mini 2 since it is the right size for me so I bought one. Long story short, I can't get it to work at all. My iPhone 7+ works great and both have the same iOS 12 on them. Both using the same version app 3.70.

Guess I'll hold on to my iPad Mini for now and hope that they support them in future firmware releases.

The good news out of all of this is that I found a holder for the iPad Mini on Amazon that also fits my iPhone just fine and it raises it above the controller and closer to my eyes so I can make better use out of the smaller screen until they support the iPads better (see pic below).

Below is Hubsan's comment:
Hubsan-Ailsa wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 am
Hello irussphone ,

Oke ,thanks for your troubleshot.

The Zino can't work well with all ipad at present.

501Pete

Re: iPad users BEWARE!

Post by 501Pete » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 am

Not all iPads support OTG.
That is the issue.
You can add OTG support however if you jailbreak your device.
That's the price you pay for being locked into the Apple world ;)
Now an Android tablet? That's the way to go :D

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Pete...Are you now happy with the Android app?

Might just have to go with an Android tablet...it doesn't have to have the cellular feature, just wifi, right?

501Pete

Post by 501Pete » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:30 pm

irussphone wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:19 pm
Pete...Are you now happy with the Android app?
I've never used anything other than Android.
The only issue I've had is the flight log got wiped at the last app update (I had auto update ticked so didn't get a chance to test it first :( ), and not all parameters are recorded to the log file.

Apart form that the app is super stable.
Connects quickly, simply, solid reliable, never crashed.
I run my Zino on two main devices.
My Huawei P20 Pro and the Huawei MediaPAd M3.
Always best to go for the top Chinese manufacturer when using Chinese products :) . (No help to those in the US however :o )
Might just have to go with an Android tablet...it doesn't have to have the cellular feature, just wifi, right?
No need for any cellular data unless you want to update maps while out in the field.
You can always connect via a hotspot on your phone if need be.
Obviously you don't need wifi either to actually fly, but show me a device that doesn't have it :-)

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 pm

I have Zero Android experience...would something like this work okay for Zino?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Huawei-MediaPad-M3-Lite-8-Inch-Full-HD-32gb-Android-WiFi-Tablet-Grey/20027789754?iid=173761038538

Thanks,
Russ

MrDronenut

Post by MrDronenut » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:05 pm

I don't know if you have ever built a quadcopter,but,I have been building and flying ever since quads have been around. Before you could buy one,we were building them.
That being said,I will use this analogy.
You cannot "hack into"a DJI product. It is a closed system. Apple(iOS)is the same. No permissions granted. You only have what they give you,with no way to change the OS.
Cheerson,3DR Robotics,Wingsland,ECT,ECT are all "OPEN SOURCE",meaning you can get a gui and change the way the system works. Basically,Pixhawk"systems. You have permission to change it.
Apple(iOS)is like DJI-closed
Android is like Pixhawk-open
I hope this helps
BTW,I'm hoping the Zino is Open Source,probably a version of Pixhawk. Maybe Alisa will tell us if she reads this

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:31 pm

Open Source fan!

I use FrSky Taranis to fly all of my planes with OpenTx open source operating system and I have for years...love it and the most powerful system on the market for the most reasonable price. I have also built a quad or two and used CleanFlight and others to operate them. I understand the Android system in general and have even helped a few of my clients learn to use their Android phones but never Tablets.

So I guess all I need is an Android Wi-Fi tablet with OTG cable to connect to Zino and I'm good to go...along with Android x-Hubsan app of course?

P.S. So what are the specs on the OTG cable that I will need to buy to go with the Huawei M3 Lite to connect with the Zino?

501Pete

Post by 501Pete » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 pm

irussphone wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 pm
I have Zero Android experience...would something like this work okay for Zino?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Huawei-MediaPad-M3-Lite-8-Inch-Full-HD-32gb-Android-WiFi-Tablet-Grey/20027789754?iid=173761038538

Thanks,
Russ
Yes. I use my a Huawei M3. It works fine.
m3.png
m3.png (2.42 MiB) Viewed 3263 times

me_50dc5zdebG

Post by me_50dc5zdebG » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:33 pm

Wouldn't it be great if hubsan went to open TX

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Huawei looks great! How did u mount it?
I ordered that M3 lite for $32 and micro usb to micro usb OTG cord from Amazon.

Yes, open Tx would be great!