Signal Loss, RTH, and Mission Resumed

irussphone

Signal Loss, RTH, and Mission Resumed

Post by irussphone » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 am

I lost signal while flying on Sunday due to trees in the line of sight and it auto Returned to Home but I regained control after a few seconds. It's scary because in those few seconds you get no video feed and you are wondering if it's flying away or home...then the video popped back up, I turned it around, moved left of the trees, and resumed my flight. The flight was smooth, the winds were between 5-10 mph, the video was good even though there is a little bit of "banding" every once in a while. My buddy was flying his Mavic at the same time and I got some video and photos of him flying in this video. The photos taken are much darker than the video...just like everyone else has noted. I'm very happy with the Zino evolution so far. Just give me Imperial units soon (Ailsa has said that is coming in the next version for iPhone users). Enjoy!

3108vibhash

Re: Signal Loss, RTH, and Mission Resumed

Post by 3108vibhash » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am

IMHO those trees should not cause signal loss. I the past I have flown in very heavy tree areas and sometimes zino doesnt lose any connection sometimes it does.

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Right?

I was shocked too but I was just below the tree line and that's all I could figure...would be too much of a coincidence otherwise though, me thinks.
Will post the Screen Recording here as soon as it is processed...

… and here it is!

3108vibhash

Post by 3108vibhash » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Several other people are having connection issues. not sure what is the clear reason , different reasons have been mentioned so probably working on each one may help.

501Pete

Post by 501Pete » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 pm

irussphone wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:42 pm
Right?

I was shocked too but I was just below the tree line and that's all I could figure...would be too much of a coincidence otherwise though, me thinks.
Will post the Screen Recording here as soon as it is processed..
Well I'd say the chances of it being the trees is highly unlikely.
I'd first start looking at more likely sources.
The facility is just bristling with RF emitters, and even though it's a Sunday, some of those will be active 7x24.
In fact as a noisy RF environment, I don't suppose there are any more demanding that that.
Just look at the RF facilities it provides and functions supported.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/639595main_EA_Test_Facilities_Guide.pdf
I'd start with high RF fields, like perhaps the radomes on top of the communications facility you were in line with.
I'm guessing that you were flying from the antenna test range itself.
I'm sure the men in black would have been out to apprehend you if you were interfering with their measurements.
Then again, perhaps you will be ultimately responsible next time a NASA mission goes pear shaped. ;)
Attachments
sat dishes.png
sat dishes.png (459.79 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Shoot, I want to fly out to Houston and fly there Russ. I've always wanted to tour the Houston Space Center, not to mention go see the USS Texas.

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Hehe...yes Pete we have lost many a plane over the years to what we call "Phantom Strikes". We never know when some ultra powerful antenna powers up but there are known "electronic corridors" to stay away from and since I was out of my usual patterns, that might have been one. It's one of the trade-offs for flying there. But we say, if you can fly at JSC, you can feel confident to fly anywhere! We probably have more electronic noise all around than just about anywhere. That's why I'm taking the Zino testing slow and steady before I take her out and around the public at some places I have in mind.

Bellerophon...I can get you on site but you have to do a background check with NASA as part of "application process" of getting on the center. It's a pain when we have fly-ins, like the Warbird event we have in March or April.

PowerPhoto

Post by PowerPhoto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Imperial units is ready.
Screenshot_20190122-201500.png
Screenshot_20190122-201500.png (187.48 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

Gorillaman

Post by Gorillaman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 pm

When you go out of range or for whatever reason it goes into RTH... When it re-connects it cancels RTH correct? I would like the option for it not to.

irussphone

Post by irussphone » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Gorillaman,
As you can see from the screen recording...it didn't actually trigger RTH 'cos it wasn't flashing on display even though it was coming back. So it either just stopped and hovered or I input on stick and it turned (I was certainly trying to input!).

My version of Hubsan App doesnt have Imperial units yet, you must have Android version?